Another not so wordless Wednesday....

Hello there dear sweet readers.  I’ve been absent here quite a bit because I finally finished my first book!  Like most people I’ve seen that write a blog and then take on a book project, especially one you are self publishing, the blog seems to go by the wayside so that you can focus on editing and getting that little sucker done.  I found out how steep the learning curve is on writing and publishing my first book and I learned a LOT.  Let’s just say all those people touting self publishing as a get rich quick scheme are really glossing over the quick part.  I spent three straight months working steadily a few hours every single day on my book.  While it’s not too hard, it’s long tedious work.  I’m not the best speller or grammarian and would second guess myself on every edit.  Of which there were many.  So many edits.  So many times I printed out and edited.  So.  Many.  Edits.

I understand now why people hire an editor for a large book.  

But even after all that I’m starting to loosely plan out my next book.  I’m a glutton for punishment.  A glutton I tell ya.  But after the great reception this first book has had I’m energized and inspired to continue on this self publishing journey.  A great big THANK YOU to everyone that has purchased a book.  Oh my gosh yall.  You’ve made one of my biggest dreams come true that I never ever thought would happen.  Yes it’s self published and not distributed through a large publisher, but here’s the thing.  I grew up in a DIY family before there was a name for that.  My grandparents, great-grandparents, and my mom and dad’s first response to everything when I was growing up was, “Can we make this?  Why go to the store when we can just make do with something around here?”  Not that we were poor and couldn’t afford to go to town and buy stuff but that’s just the mentality of my family.  They are independent to the core and would just prefer to do things themselves  and for themselves and not depend on someone else to do it for them.  Self publishing allows me to continue that tradition.  I get to use all my skills I developed in college and after college - photography, writing, graphic design, cooking, etc.  It’s the perfect product of all the things I love to do.  If you would like to order my book you can find it on blurb.com.  The direct link is HERE.  I’ve also got a little link on the sidebar there.

There have also been a lot of other things going on as well especially family wise.  My daughter had her birthday on April 5th and turned 5 this year!  She had a great party at school and then we had a little family get together at the house Sunday.  My dad put in his two weeks Monday to retire!  I’m so excited for him.  He is going to go home and work the farm, weld, drive equipment, and whatever else he wants to do.  Congrats Dad!  He has worked at the same job since 1974, and I’m so proud he gets to retire in great health and enjoy his retirement.  

Sergeant Sammie Harold Lancaster
And with the good there’s always a little bad to balance out everything.  My grandfather passed away March 26th.  He was 85 years old and had been in really bad health the past few years.  He had emphysema, COPD, macular degeneration which made him legally blind, and I’m sure some other things I am leaving out.  He had a bad fall that lead to kidney damage and ultimately caused him to pass away.  He was retired from the Air Force after 21 years and then went on to retire from Civil Service after 23 years.  He was my last living grandfather and we are all taking it rather hard.  This was my Dad’s father and my Mom and Dad lived next door to him and checked on him daily and provided all of his care.  It’s been tough but we are taking it day by day.  Mom and Dad have all the hard work of settling the estate - I’m just there for moral support.  

So that should sort of catch you up on the high points.  Sorry for all my usual excuses... busy, busy, busy, crazy, crazy, crazy.

Thank you everyone for sticking it out with me as I’ve meandered for about a year or so on here.  Hopefully I’m now energized and have found my direction.  Thanks again yall!

Comments

  1. Wow, that is a lot of catching up! I am happy for you finishing your book, hope your dad enjoys retirement, and Happy Birthday Allie! I share my sympathy about your grandfather--we never know how hard that is until we walk it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts