Foodie Fridays - Sweet and Sour One Pan Pork


Happy Friday everyone!  I know this is late and most probably won't see this until tomorrow, but that's ok.  I made it in time to suit myself and that's all that matters.  Ha!

I made this two weeks ago after making pork chop and rice casserole (same thing as chicken and rice casserole just use boneless pork chops instead of chicken.)  I just had three small boneless chops left and after rummaging around in my cupboards and fridge I was happy to find I had enough to pull this recipe together.  This is written down in a small black, spiral bound sketchbook that's I've been writing recipes in since high school.  It replaced a sad little spiral bound notebook that I started in junior high school.  I sure wish I could remember where it came from, but that was before I started keeping better track of things like that.  Again, this is definitely another one of my recipes that you can change and alter to suit your tastes.  You definitely won't hurt my feelings if you substitute the carrots for broccoli or leave the onions out completely.  I love the sauce on this, it's sour with a great kick of sweet from the pineapple chunks and works equally well with chicken.  Now, this is not your typical sweet and sour pork/chicken because the meat is not battered and fried, but since I'm on a health kick, I skipped that step.  Hope you enjoy!  



Ingredients: 

2 cups of sliced boneless pork chops
3/4 cup diced onion
3/4 cup sliced carrots
3/4 cup diced green mushrooms
1 cup diced mushrooms
1 eight ounce can pineapple chunks in juice NOT syrup
1 teaspoon/2 cloves of minced garlic 
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon corn starch 
3 tablespoons cold water 
sesame oil 
1 tablespoon soy sauce 
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar


 
Saute the sliced pork in a little olive oil seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.  When brown on both sides, remove from pain reserving drippings and set aside. 
 
 
To the hot pan add onions and sauté until translucent after which add peppers and carrots.  Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. 

 
Add mushrooms and cook 5 to 7 minutes more until mushrooms are cooked down.

 
While the vegetables cook, drain the pineapple and to this liquid add enough water to make a cup.  To this add vinegar and brown sugar whisk until combined and pour into the pan with the vegetables.  Stir well, bring to a boil, cover, and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until carrots reach desired tenderness. 

 
Combine cold water and cornstarch and add to skillet mixture.  Cook stirring often until mixture thickens.  Add the pork back to the pan along with the pineapple and tablespoon of soy sauce.  Cook three to 3 minutes more or until pork and pineapple are heated through and  seasonings have combined.

 
 
Serve over hot rice and enjoy!  This makes 4 to six servings and would be great with an egg roll. 
 
I'm off to a barrel race for the first time all year.  I took today off and spend the entire day cleaning and getting my house in order.  I'm such a wild woman.  Have a great weekend my lovelies!






Comments

Popular Posts