Just Something Pretty

Crepe Myrtle Hickory Ridge Studio

Crepe Myrtle Hickory Ridge Studio

Crepe Myrtle Hickory Ridge Studio

Crepe Myrtle Hickory Ridge Studio

Crepe Myrtle Hickory Ridge Studio

I have some beautiful Crepe Myrtles in my back yard, white and vibrant pink. They hang over my deck and drop flowers everywhere and I love them. My grandmother who lived next door had ancient Crepe Myrtles beside her house that were a light pink, I wish I had a couple of those too. But, these still remind me of home.

Crepe Myrtles are such a quintessential southern flower.  I'm ashamed to say I didn't know very much about them, just that they had been around forever, so I looked up a little history on the tree. The British brought them back from China in 1759, where no one was very impressed because it wouldn't bloom. The English climate was too mild and the Crepe Myrtle really needs heat to bloom properly. A plant explorer and botanist to King Louis XVI, Andre' Michaux introduced the tree to Charleston and the rest is history.

The darn thing grows about anywhere, is not fussy about the soil, tolerates drought, and grows quickly. And much to the chagrin of prune happy husbands everywhere, it's almost impossible to kill. I can attest that it will even grow in a primarily shaded backyard.

Hope you are enjoying some unseasonably cool weather this morning. It was 58 degrees this morning, 58!, in August! Have a great Tuesday my lovelies!

Comments

Popular Posts