Beautiful Saturday on the Mississippi Gulf Coast



Back in December we were down at Ocean Springs for a family function. 




We had drove down the day before said function and after having lunch (raw oysters yum!) everyone else met up to watch the Alabama/Auburn game and I decided to do something I had wanted to do for a while now and that was go the Ohr-O'Keefe Museum in Bioxi.  It was right over the bridge and litereally five minutes so why not?









The day was beautiful and sunny and I haven't been to a museum in forever so to say the least I was excited.  The Ohr-O'Keefe museum is right off Beach Boulevard in Biloxi and you can't miss it.  Honestly you can't it looks like a spaceship landed in Mississippi and forgot to take off again.  It's defnitely a modern design and it's not just one building but a grouping of five seperate buildings with another under construction. To read all about the buildings and the future of the museum, CLICK HERE.

There were two intersting exhibits up while I was there, one painting exhibit and the other was folk art by African American Artists.  But, what I was really there for was the George Ohr pottery.  I am one class shy of a minor in ceramics to go with my photography degree and I love looking at and learning about different types of ceramics. 


This right here cracks me up to no end.  

George Ohr was a Mississippi Potter that was worlds ahead of his time.  He was also the eccentrics eccentric. With his handle bar mustach and claims to be the world's best potter Ohr was one part showman, one part genius, one part lunatic, and 100% an amazing artist.  The museum has a little blub about him HERE.  I did not take any pictures of the pottery as I have a great amount of respect for his work and feel like you should go see the exhibit yourself!  Plus the lighting was not so great for photography and I didn't know if the nice lady who was watching the exhibit and kept eyeballing me would appreciate it. 

You do not want to go to an art gallery with an artist; it's an interactive and entertaining experience.  A friend and I while still in college went to The Glory of Baroque Dresden exhibit in Jackson right before we graduated and we stayed so long in the drawings/engravings gallery that the lady watching the room finally came up and asked were we okay.  We explained we were art students and she laughed.  I mean come on, how many times am I going to get to see an Albrecht Durer drawing in person in my lifetime?  I had to spend some quality time with that.   

Ok, off the rabbit path and back to what I was talking about.  The gallery also has a collection of Shearwater Pottery which was founded by the son of Walter Anderson, Peter Anderson.  It has a huge following in Mississippi as well as all over the world.  The colors are beautiful and vibrant and I will have me a piece one day!  Along with a Walter Anderson painting or print.  Read more about Shearwater Pottery HERE

All in all I had a fabulous time and cannot wait to go back when the new exhibit spaces open sometime this year.  If you are anywhere on the Gulf Coast and have some time I highly receommend you drop by and spend a few hours there.  There is a small admission fee but it is nominal and also check out the gift shop.  I could have spent so much money here.  I did buy a beautiful new handmade ceramic mug by a local artist and I should have bought two as my hubby loves to steal it. 

Robert Long!


More Robert Long!


I got to hold this one.  It was verrah expensive. 



I hope you all had a great day my lovelies and we'll see you tomorrow for Foodie Friday!

Comments

  1. I love going to Ocean Springs! I am a huge Walter Anderson fan and collect Shearwater pottery. I haven't been to the Ohr-O'Keefe Museum, though. Looks like I need to pay a visit the next time we are on the coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next trip I'm going to the Walter Anderson Museum. One of my old professors Brent Funderburk has an exhibit coming up there, I can't wait!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts