Make it Monday - New Jewlery

 
A new year, a new feature on the blog!  I've been trying to come up with something catchy for my sewing, jewelry making, and general craftiness.  This will probably not be a weekly thing, but I'm shooting for at least a few times a month. 
 
I have fallen hard and fast off the jewelry wagon lately.  I’ve been making jewelry consistently since high school.  My best friend is totally to blame when she started wearing her handmade jewelry to school.  The techniques were simple and the results beautiful and unique.  Pretty much from the start I was hooked.  I’ve sold a little here and there, and would love to sell more if I can find the time to make it. 

One thing that drives the jewelry production is I love unique funky jewelry.  The older I get the funkier I like it.  I’ve had a bohemian, hippy, earthy kinda style for ages and that’s the jewelry I tend to gravitate toward.  Crystals, beads, long chains, and ethic designs really appeal to me.  It’s hard to find things like that around here.  There’s plenty of trendy, preppy, on style pieces you can pick up here and there, but not the really funky edgier stuff I like. 
I also tend to live on a budget.  I love getting a good bang for my buck and jewelry is pricey.  Even really simple pieces like French wire earrings will run you $15.00 to $20.00 a piece.  No thank you.  I have jewelry pliers and side cutters thank you very much.  A lot of times I can make nearly the same piece for pennies.  (Then again I have invested in one heck of a beading stash so who’s really saving any money here.)

I also like that unobtainable status that comes with unique handmade jewelry.  You’re definitely not going to walk into church, school, a social function, etc. and see another woman wearing what you’re wearing.     
And I'm one of those crazy creative people that has to be busy doing something with her hands.  And no, cleaning doesn’t count.  My husband has yet to go on a road trip of any length with me when I haven’t brought some sort of project.  He always gives me that patented look and continues driving.  He can’t complain though, a lot of the time I do mending when we’re driving somewhere so by the time we get home he has new hems in pants, patches in jackets, and new buttons on shirts.   

Most of these necklaces were simple and straightforward to make, just a few were a little complicated or took some time.  Ok enough talking and more pictures!

Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio

Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio
 
Yes, I finally caved on this trend.  I love my version though because it makes a statement but it's not overwhelming. 

Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio

Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio
 
I've had this pendant forever and I still really don't know if it works with this necklace, and yes each of those beads are hand linked together.  What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment. 

Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio
 
This is actually a re-do of a Walmart necklace I bought several years ago.  It broke and the chain was cheap and the beads were not wired together very well.  I took it all apart, replaced the cheapo silver chain with brass and rewired everything back together. 

Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio
 
 This is probably my favorite necklace I made last year.  It's a blend of chain I've been keeping around forever and some beautiful beads I found on etsy.com.  The tassel came out perfect and though it's different from my inspiration necklace off modcloth.com, I love it. 

Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio

Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio
 
Mr. Kate had a great tutorial up on her page for this necklace.  (Just google Mr. Kate on youtube.com she's fabulous.)  The pendant is made from a vintage chandelier drop. 

Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio

Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio
 
Just a simple everyday piece with glass pearls that work with jeans or a business outfit.   
 
Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio

Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio
 
I got super lucky on this one.  This is a beautiful huge piece of real turquoise that was polished and has a hole drilled though.  All I had to do was run a chain through and add a cool clasp.  Easy peasy.
 
Make it Monday Hickory Ridge Studio
 
These are some amethyst chips I've literally had since college.  I've seen necklaces like this floating around for a few years and thought I'd try one.   
 


 
Believe it or not this is a combination of an earring and some drops off another pair of earrings I took apart.  A little chain, a clasp, and done.  I tried so many combinations of beads with that brass earring until I tried just that simple briolette drop and it just fit together. 


And one more turquoise necklace.  (Do we see a theme here?).  These beads were not quite what I expected when I got them, but they ended up working. 
 
This is just a small sampling of stuff I've made lately.  I know some is pretty plain, but this is my style.  It runs the gamut of bold to simple.  I hope this is the first of many make it Monday posts and that you enjoyed this.  If you did let me know!  I have some further posts about jewelry and getting into jewelry making in the weeks to come.  It's late I know, but here in Mississippi it's still Monday so this counts!
 
Have a great night my lovelies!
     

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts