Make it Monday - Getting Started in Jewelry Making

 
 
Getting Started in Jewelry Making @ Hickory Ridge Studio

With my jewelry post the other day I had some people ask me about getting started in jewelry making.  There are tons of posts like this out there, but this is my contribution to the many "getting started in jewelry making" posts on the internet.

Honestly, jewelry making only requires a very minimal investiment to get started.  The sky is the limit though, but here are a few things to get you started.  What I am going to show you can be found at most big box craft stores and of course the internet.

Getting Started in Jewelry Making @ Hickory Ridge Studio


Beads

Beads can be found anywhere and I do mean anywhere.  I've bought stuff from dollar stores, thrift stores, yard sales, ebay, etsy, and of course craft stores. I love hitting up flea markets too, sometimes you can find great beads just strung together in a tragic mess. 

Getting Started in Jewelry Making @ Hickory Ridge Studio


Beading Thread/Wire

Necklaces can be strung on anything from silk thread to monofilament fishing line (that's how I got started).  I have several different kinds depending on what I want a necklace to do or the beads I'm working with.  I would say start with a good quality monofilament fishing line.  Cheap, easy to find, easy to tie knots in, and if you don't like jewelry making you're not out a fortune.  The other thing I would look at is beading wire.  A simple spool of 22 gauge silvertone wire is very affordable and makes lots of projects. 

Tools

There are just a few beading tools you really need to get started:



1. Needle nosed pliers - These usually have a built in wire cutter so they work double duty as a plier and wire cutter. If you find you really like beading then invest in a seperate nicer flush wire cutter. If not, this is an indespensible tool to have around the home.



2. Round nosed pliers - They smoothly form loops, and with a pair of needle nosed and round nosed pliers you can open and close jump rings, earring hooks, chain, etc. Usually inexpensive, they will last forever if taken care of, mine are probably about 15 years old.



3. Scissors - you'll need something to cut the monofilament don't you?



Clasps/Earring Wires/Headpins/Etc.

Clasps can be as simple as tying the ends together and slipping over your head, a lobster clasp, or a fancier toggle clasp.  Simple French wire earring wires are a dime a dozen as are headpins.  Don't buy in bulk when you're just getting started.  Buy what you need for a project or two to make sure jewelry making is something you even like or have the patience for. 



Storage

You need somewhere to store all this stuff and I am a big lover of Plano tackle boxes.  When you go over to sporting goods to buy that monofilament fishing line, go ahead and get one of these too.  Don't be suckered in and buy one of the expensive "craft storage boxes."  They are usually a lot flimsier than a Plano and won't last as long.  (I am not receiving compensation from Plano, these are just my favorite brand.)  Again, I've had one of my tackle boxes since high school. 

Inspiration
Used to be you had to buy magazines or books to find new jewelry ideas or inspiration for your next project.  Those days are gone!  The internet is such a treasure trove of independent designers, big name designers, and little people like me.  I also enjoy looking at catalogues and of course Pinterest.  Just start looking and experimenting!

I'll be sharing some easy projects here in the next few months, so stay tuned!

Have a great Monday my lovelies!
 

Comments

  1. This is great as a checklist to go to the craft store with. I need a new hobby and was thinking about jewelry making. I have been looking into it and decided to purchase most of my costume beads and such through wholesale but wanted to purchase all my tools otherwise so I can find what I like best. Thanks for the shopping help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a splendidly marvelous collection! I'm a huge vintage brooch fan, too, and really began to build up my collection a serious way last year.

    gold jewellry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts