Signs of Spring - Flowering Quince

Flowering Quince Hickory Ridge Studio

Flowering Quince Hickory Ridge Studio

Flowering Quince Hickory Ridge Studio

Flowering Quince Hickory Ridge Studio


A sure sign of spring in the south is when the quince starts blooming.  It was one of the first things to start blooming in my grandmother's yard in the spring and I can remember taking big bouquets to my teachers in school.  

Quince, also known as Japanese quince, reached Europe in the 18th century and by the 1830's it was common in home gardens in Europe and America.  A native of China and other areas throughout eastern Asia its ability to adapt and only needing limited care made it popular in European gardens.  It's unclear why the homesteaders of rural American farms would grow a plant that only blooms for about two weeks and produces very limited amounts of fruit.  Maybe it's a testament that even on the frontier simple beauty was still appreciated.  To me it's a sure sign of spring and the first beautiful sign of color after a long gloomy winter.  

These pictures are straight from my camera.  I knew the light was good the other afternoon but who knew it was that good.  They look super photoshoped in a way but I swear I opened them up last night on the computer and decided not to touch them.  

Have a great day my lovelies!

Comments

Popular Posts