"Be specific in general..."

sewing pattern piece hickory ridge studio
 
*Title complementary of my Painting I professor Jeffery Haupt*

I love making complicated clothes.  I admit it.  I do.  I love making a coat, a jacket, a lovely dress, but right now I just don't have the time or brain power. 

To all those people that say kids eat your brain.  You are right.   They also eat up time which is ok, because there is nothing cuter than my daughter on a good day.  But all this time with the baby, housework, dishes, laundry, gardening, etc. infinitum, gets in the way of sewing time.  I also have come to the conclusion this is a good thing.  It makes me really evaluate what I am spending my time sewing and is it something I'm going to wear to pieces, or is it going to sit in the closet. 

beautiful jersey print hickory ridge studio



I also apparently have no patience for standard patterns right now. I'm built so "uniquely" shall we say that a standard Simplicity or McCall’s pattern takes quite a bit of alteration to fit. As crazy as it sounds it's actually quicker for me to either draft my own pattern or alter an existing tried and true pattern. Case in point, the above pattern. A Vogue from 1978, simple as simple gets with a Vogue. Thank goodness I tried it with a cheapo fabric before I cut into the above stuff or I would have been promptly sick at my machine. Let's just say there are Sherman tank covers that are more flattering than this dress pattern is.

Pattern drafting is not as hard as it appears and there are a lot of great books out there to help you as well as THE ENTIRE INTERNET. It's amazing how many people are so generous with their time and talent to show how to draft clothes. You can pretty much learn how to do anything now it seems.

Have a lovely day my darlings!


 

Comments

Popular Posts