Mexican Mondays - Fast and Easy Enchilada Sauce

Mexican Monday @ Hickory Ridge Studio


I love Mexican food.  I love down home Southern cooking first, but Mexican is probably my second love.  The one thing I just did not like,until recently, was enchaladas.  Just not my thing, but the hubby loves them.  I was looking for something to cook one night that was different and I thought about enchiladas.  What could I do to make it something I would want to eat.  What did I not like about them?

The sauce.

I hate canned enchilada sauce.  I normally don't like the sauce at restaurants around here either.
Probably because its canned. 

So then I had the crazy idea to make enchilada sauce.  Say what? 

I can make roux, gravies, tomato sauce, and basic white sauce from scratch, why not enchilada sauce?   So I looked online, found a recipe that called itself a fast and easy enchilada sauce and thought what the heck?

Yall, it was awesome.  I changed the recipe a little to fit with what I had on hand but the most important thing was it tasted good!  Who cares if it's not a true enchilada sauce?  It's yummy and it works.  Hope you enjoy!  

Fast and Easy Enchilada Sauce @ Hickory Ridge Studio


Fast and Easy Enchilada Sauce

1/4 Cup Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil 
2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
3 to 4 Tablespoons of my Taco Seasoning Blend
(if you don't have that mixed up you can use 1/4 cup Chili Powder, 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cumin, 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder)
1 Eight Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
1/2 Cups Water 
Salt To Taste

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, stir in the flour and 3 to 4 Tablespoons of Taco Seasoning Blend or the chili powder.  Cook for a few minutes until lightly brown and you can begin to smell the chili powder.  This toasts the spice and cooks the flour lightly so your sauce doesn't have a "flour-y" taste.  

Gradually stir in the tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder.  Whisk until smooth and bring to a gentle simmer.  Continue to cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Taste and season with salt as needed.  

That's it!  I usually have this simmering as I'm cooking the meat for the enchiladas and doing other things.  It takes no time and is really superior to the canned sauces I've tried in the past.  I hope you enjoy!  If you have any problems or questions just let me know.  Have a great evening my lovelies!


Comments

  1. This looks like it is very good! I'm going to give it a try soon. I usually just make chili (with hamburger for meat but no beans) and dip my tortillas in it before rolling and then spoon the chili over the rolled up enchiladas. I also have a layered crock pot recipe that calls for enchilada sauce that I think your recipe would be great to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I go the lazy route on my enchiladas, I don't dip the tortillas in the sauce though I do need to do that next time I know it's more true to the recipe. But, I do happen to break out the tortilla mix and make my own tortillas a lot; I think that makes up for it. lol!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts